Advertisement

Protection for pierced ears

topic posted Sun, September 24, 2006 - 2:45 PM by  predslava
Share/Save/Bookmark
Hi all,
So I recently got my ears pierced, and they are not fully healed yet. I don't want to take any more time off of training, and was wondering if anyone can recommend some good ear guards. They would have to be hollow enough not to press on the jewelry, but flat enough that they don't get caught during grapling (jiu jitsu). I read a good review on Cliff Keen's soft halo ear guards... Any other recommendations? Any good supplyer in the Bay Area, where I might be able to try on the guards before purchasing?
Thanks!
~Slava
posted by:
predslava
SF Bay Area
Advertisement
  • Re: Protection for pierced ears

Mon, September 25, 2006 - 8:35 PM
    Check with your piercer, who is likely to have some ideas. I know that many people simply put tape over their piercings when they don't want them to get caught on anything. Of course this refers to sports tape, not scotch or masking tape :) HTH
  • Re: Protection for pierced ears

Wed, December 13, 2006 - 1:30 AM
    Tape alone wont cut it for grappling. You need head gear. There are a buh-jillion wrestling supply stores on line you might want to check out. Personally, I hate head gear as it makes me feel like I'm trapped in a fish bowl...but I dont wear ear rings either. Honestly though, the very best thing to do is to just take your jewelry out during training. I seriously doubt that your holes will close up in the two hours you spend rolling around on the mats. The possibility of your rings getting ripped out however, is very real.

Jess
  • Unsu...

Re: Protection for pierced ears

Sat, December 16, 2006 - 5:31 PM
    I like to stretch piercings so I was concerned about this when I first started taking classes. But I just take it out right before class and replace it immediately after and I don't have any problems. Only once I forgot to put it back in and remembered the next morning, had to go back down a size and start over. I'd imagine a newer piercing could be removed for the duration of class and be fine.

Recent topics in "Women in the Martial Arts"